Wednesday 4 July 2012

Paying for Surrey Police

Since my maiden speech in Parliament, I have consistently fought for a fairer deal for local funding for local services, given our community needs and the high levels of tax we pay.

Yesterday, I secured a debate on Surrey Police funding, backed forcefully by my fellow Surrey MPs and joined by the Policing Minister, Nick Herbert. You can read the debate here, which gives a good sense of the uphill struggle we have in getting a fairer deal for local funding across the board, both in straitened economic times and under the constraints of coalition.

I am hopeful, however, that we will safeguard the so-called 'damping' arrangements that mitigate the impact in Surrey of the skewed Whitehall funding formula - which, if lost, would cost Surrey Police £4 million from its budget.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The site policy is to publish all comments, unless abusive or anonymous.

Welcome to Dom's Blog

To sign up for my monthly bulletins, click here.

For my Privacy & Cookies policy, click here.

Dom's Podcasts

Watch Dom's Hardtalk interview here.

To watch Dom's recent podcasts, visit his You Tube channel here.

Local Campaigns

Local issues, National debate

Blog Archive

Follow Dom on Facebook