Tuesday 8 April 2014

Local Reaction to the Budget

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been gauging local reaction to the Chancellor's 2014 Budget. This has included talking to local business groups. On 27 March, I addressed Esher Business Guild and heard their views. I also participated in a local business seminar organised by Chartered Accountants, Wellden Turnbull. This morning, I was down in Cobham with their local Chamber of Commerce for a breakfast discussion. I set out the economic progress made to date - on the deficit, jobs, and cost of living - and talked through the key components of the budget, including measures to boost competitiveness and private savings.

As ever, the subsequent conversation was wide-ranging. One strong, common, factor in the local feedback I am getting is the support for measures to back savers. I can appreciate why this is particular popular for families, but it is also important for underlying UK competitiveness - as highlighted by the World Economic Forum's recent competitiveness survey, in its UK analysis section.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The site policy is to publish all comments, unless abusive or anonymous.

Welcome to Dom's Blog

To sign up for my monthly bulletins, click here.

For my Privacy & Cookies policy, click here.

Dom's Podcasts

Watch Dom's Hardtalk interview here.

To watch Dom's recent podcasts, visit his You Tube channel here.

Local Campaigns

Local issues, National debate

Blog Archive

Follow Dom on Facebook